Books for Java Performance Optimization
This is a short list we suggest for Java Performance Optimization books.
Probably the best book ever written on this area. We used it as a source of ideas and suggestions when we developed our tools. Well written and rich of deep technical materials...
You'll get response on following questions:
- How hardware architecture impacts JVM performance
- Detailed analysis on Garbage Collection mechanism
- JVM Monitoring and Tuning
- Java Application Monitoring and Profiling
- Java Benchmarking
Java Performance and Scalability
If you consider a mathematical approach valuable then this book is for you.
- Queue theory and application to Java Programs
- JVM Overview
- CPU hardware details (but now CPUs considered are old)
- Interesting approach on baseline and methodology for performance test
- Not really discussed how to obtain scalability, but how to verify if you have it
- Interesting chapter on JVM over VMWare
APM Best Practices
This is the best book you can find on how to approach an Application Performance Management project.
- Why do APM project and when
- Team and roles
- ROI and Business Justification
- Methodology about what to do and which deliverables you have to produce